Assistant, Optometry Certified
Posted on: March 17, 2023
--Job Summary:To assist and support doctors of optometry in a
collaborative relationship to provide patients with optimum levels
of general optometric care. Under the direct supervision of the
doctor, will provide technical and support assistance to improve
the efficacy and efficiency of the doctors of optometry.Essential
- Accurately record patients medical and visual history, review
and prepare other clinical information (PST, Medicare refresh,
etc.) for doctor(s). Take and record patient vitals when indicated
in EMR. Perform appropriate pre-testing, such as but not limited to
assessing gross visual skills, extraocular muscle action and
pupillary reflexes. Perform OCT, Visual Fields and Diabetic Photos.
Maintain accurate records and reports as instructed by the doctor.
Instill eye-drops when ordered by the doctor. Assist in therapeutic
procedures such as foreign body removal.
- Receive and process phone calls and other patient
communication, from patients, assess the nature of the situation
and manage triage accordingly. Manage all aspects of doctor(s)
schedule, including booking appointments.
- Maintain diagnostic and therapeutic instruments and equipment
to insure that they are clean and accurate. Assess condition of
instruments and arrange for repair and/or recalibration as
necessary. Maintain instruments and medications for ophthalmic
therapeutics; insure that instruments and medications are available
- Respond to patient concerns and resolve or forward them to the
proper person or area for resolution.
- Coordinate patient optometric care with optical dispensing,
membership services, family practice, ophthalmology, pharmacy and
other KP departments and services.
- Follow all KP policies, procedures, and behavior guidelines and
standards for the treatment of members and confidentiality of their
care. Perform other duties as assigned.--Basic
- Minimum one (1) year back office clinical experience directly
supporting a medical provider OR completion of an accredited
clinical assistant program (I.E. MAs, CNAs, LPN,s Dental
Assistants, --and Patient Care Techs), AND the willingness to
participate in on the job training in KPs Optometry training
- High School Diploma or General Education Development (GED)
required.License, Certification, Registration
- Paraoptometric Technician Certificate within 24 months of hire
from American Optometric Association OR Paraoptometric Assistant
Certificate within 24 months of hire from American Optometric
Association OR Ophthalmic Assistant Certificate within 24 months of
hire from The Joint Commission on Allied Health Personel in
Opthomology OR Ophthalmic Technician Certificate within 24 months
of hire from The Joint Commission on Allied Health Personel in
- Registered Medical Assistant (Washington) within 2 months of
- Demonstrated experience and competence with ophthalmic
instruments, including: auto-refractor, auto-lensometer,
non-contact tonometer, Titmus vision tester, Snellen chart, visual
acuity projector, and visual field testing equipment.
- Demonstrated proficiency in use of instruments and equipment
for preliminary testing, ancillary testing and in the application
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to function effectively in a professional environment
within a managed practice organization. Familiarity with optometric
and optical terminology.
- Familiarity with optometric instruments and equipment.Preferred
- Two (2) years of previous experience in optometric or other
- Basic knowledge of Kaiser Permanente policies, procedures and
philosophy and culture.
- Thorough knowledge of basic science and optics, familiarity
with optometric and/or ophthalmic procedures related to preliminary
- Basic knowledge of instillation of optometric diagnostic and
therapeutic pharmaceuticals as applied to the practice of
- Working knowledge of HealthConnect.--Notes:--
- 3-10 hour shifts, including Saturday.
- Travel locations: Central Interstate and Rockwood.Job Schedule:
Job Category: Clinical Support
Keywords: Kaiser, Beaverton , Assistant, Optometry Certified, Other , Beaverton, Oregon
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!
Loading more jobs...