Medical Assistant (Bilingual) - Rockwood - 40 Hour - Internal Medicine
Posted on: January 24, 2023
Participates with the Health Care Team in delivering quality and
customer focused health care to patients in a manner that reflects
Kaiser Permanente's mission, vision and values. - Provides clinical
and administrative support to clinicians and other health care team
members to offer a variety of health care services to patients. -
Clinical duties involve both direct (in person) and indirect (via
phone or on-line) patient care activities requiring both simple to
complex clinical knowledge and skills. - As appropriate to the
position's scope of authorized duties, the MA is expected to have
competent observational, clinical, critical thinking,
communication, problem-solving and decision-making skills in order
to meet patient needs and contribute to a positive care experience
and work environment. - Works under the clinical supervision of the
clinician for patient care activities, and under the general
direction of the designated manager/supervisor. -Essential
- Clinical Tasks: These job tasks provide patient care & are to be
performed competently, consistently, accurately & according to
established regional/departmental clinical protocols, policies &
procedures & standards. - They are:
- Prepares & organizes patient's office visit for known
reason/procedure by ensuring that all appropriate tests, clinical
information (e.g. diagnostic test results, consultation reports,
outside records, etc.) & order entries - are ready for clinician
review prior to appointment time..
- Collects pertinent subjective (e.g. signs & symptoms, allergies,
current medication, tobacco use, etc.) & objective (e.g. vital
signs, height, weight, etc.) data related to patient's reason for
visit (i.e. chief complaint, presenting symptoms or procedure).
- Utilizes standardized tools (e.g. PST, health maintenance alerts)
to identify & address health maintenance/care gaps with patient &
alerts clinician on those that require his/her attention.
- Recognizes signs & symptoms of common medical illnesses, abnormal
versus new/existing & reports to clinician. - Alerts clinician on
signs & symptoms requiring immediate attention & respond to
directions per clinician
- Prepares patient for actual visit/procedure prior to clinician's
exam during rooming-in process.
- Assures exam/procedure room contains appropriate supplies,
equipment, forms & educational materials are available & ready for
use during visit/procedure. Checks equipment are in safe working
order & cleans room after use.
- Provides patient with after-visit, follow-up, self-care or
procedural instructions and/or educational materials as directed by
- Use KP HealthConnect & other information systems to document all
pertinent data & outcomes of patient care according to standardized
procedures & policies such as & not limited to the use of SBAR, KP
HealthConnect smarttools, etc. - Updates demographic or historical
clinical data gathered in the electronic medical record.
- Clinical Procedures: Performs diagnostic tests, therapies &
procedures within scope of authorized duties competently & with
maintenance of proficiency according to: a) specific department
standards on core clinical tasks (see department's list of core
skills); b) application of knowledge & skills appropriate to
developmental age of patient;; & c) established policies such as &
not limited to patient safety, aseptic & sterile techniques &
infection control. - Examples of categories of clinical tasks are
- Screening tests - e.g. vital signs, vision, hearing,
developmental, LOPS, pain, etc.
- Diagnostic tests - e.g. urine dips, spirometry/peak flow, -
bladder scan, finger sticks for glucose, O2 saturation rate,
- Medication administration via oral, topical, otic, rectal,
vaginal, IM, SubQ, intradermal, ophthalmic, inhalation & nasal
- Wound care - e.g. routine dressing changes, staple/suture
removal, cleansing/flushing of wounds
- Application and/or removal of orthopedic appliances & other
devices - e.g. splints, slings, orthotics, cast, crutch mgmt,
anti-embolic stockings measurement, procedural safety restraints,
- Minor surgical procedures assist - e.g. biopsies, excisions,
insertion of devices, D & C, etc.
- Medical procedures assist - e,g. PAP, colonoscopies,
sigmoidoscopies, colposcopies, joint aspirations, etc.
- Lab specimens collection & labeling - e.g. nose, throat, wound,
application of U-bag, etc.
- Irrigations - e.g. eye, ear
- Instrument/equipment set-up, cleaning & processing (sterile &
non-sterile) - e.g. scopes, cryogun, O2 tank, procedural trays,
- Ambulate/transfer of patient using lift equipment.
- This job description is not all encompassing.Basic
- Graduate of an accredited Medical Assistant program.
Licenses, Certifications, Registrations
- Basic Life Support (BLS) for healthcare providers within 30 days
of employment. -Additional Requirements:
- Employees must be able to successfully obtain Kaiser Permanente's
Medication Administration Competency Certification within 90 days
of employment as a Medical Assistant.
- Demonstrated interpersonal and customer service skills
(Assessment required for external candidates).
- Demonstrated communication (written and oral) skills.
- Demonstrated literacy in using computers and keyboarding.
- Skills in problem-solving, setting priorities and using good
judgment for decisions.
- Ability to work independently and efficiently under pressure.
- Final candidate must pass pre-employment language skill
assessment administered over the phone by Kaiser Permanente.
- Upon hire, must take the next available Kaiser Permanente
Qualified Bilingual Staff (QBS) -training for continued employment.
- One (1) to two (2) years in a medical assistant position to
assigned department's clinical area (e.g. Pediatrics, FP/IM,
OB/Gyn, Surgery, Dermatology, Neurology, Cardiology, etc.) within
an ambulatory care setting preferred.
- Current National Medical Assistant Certification preferred.
- Demonstrated clinical knowledge and procedural skills and/or
documented trainings in assigned department's clinical area within
the last -one (1) to three (3) -years preferred.
- Familiarity in documenting in an electronic medical record system
Job Schedule: Job Category: Clinical Support, Medical Assistant
Keywords: Kaiser, Beaverton , Medical Assistant (Bilingual) - Rockwood - 40 Hour - Internal Medicine, Other , Beaverton, Oregon
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!