Area Loss Prevention Manager (ALPM)
Company: Ross Stores, Inc.
Posted on: September 21, 2022
Welcome to Ross Stores, Inc., where our differences make us
stronger At Ross and dds, inclusion is a way of life. We care about
our Associates and the communities we serve and we value their
differences. We are committed to building diverse teams and an
inclusive culture. We respect and celebrate the diversity of
backgrounds, identities, and ideas of those who work and shop with
us. Come join us as we continue our diversity, equality and
inclusion journey!GENERAL PURPOSE:The Area Loss Prevention Manager
(ALPM) is responsible for protecting the assets of Ross Stores,
Inc. while achieving shortage and safety goals for assigned
stores/district(s)/area. This is done by managing, promoting, and
directing all Loss Prevention initiatives and programs within the
assigned group of stores and by developing and maintaining strong
partnerships at the store, district, and zone levels. Through
effective Operations and Human Resources partnerships, the ALPM
implements company-driven shortage and safety solutions while
providing regular direction and leadership to minimize operational
shortage, mitigate theft and fraud, and maintain safe and secure
environments for Ross associates and customers. At times, the ALPM
will also work with other cross-functional groups to ensure
integrated solutions positively impact shortage control and
accident reduction initiatives. In partnership with Store Managers,
ALPMs share supervisory responsibility for store-based Loss
Prevention associates (Store Protection Specialists or SPS) and are
involved in the ongoing hiring, training, development, and
performance management of this team. Periodically, ALPMs may need
to support the response to, recovery from, and future prevention of
serious incidents within assigned market.ESSENTIAL
FUNCTIONS:Minimizing Operational Shortage
- Achieve shortage reduction goals for assigned
- Understand and respond to shortage processes (i.e. CNS, MOS,
Front-End Operations, MPT, etc.) and analytics.
- Identify shortage risks through regular review of indicator
reports; partner with stores to develop action plans to
address/minimize operational shortage.
- Ensure all Loss Prevention shortage audits are conducted
consistently and objectively, with a focus on continuous
improvement through partnership and training.
- Coach, train, and influence store leadership and associates on
best practice execution to minimize operational shortage.
- Promote shortage awareness through store programs (i.e.
Shortage Highway) and ensure current Loss Prevention Awareness
Center is visible to associates.
- Support assigned stores/district(s)/area during annual (and/or
semi-annual) inventory process.
- Strictly adhere to all budget guidelines established in
stores/district(s)/area.Mitigating Theft & Fraud
- Aggressively identify, investigate, and resolve all internal
and external theft and fraud, striving to minimize the impact of
loss to the company and address new types of theft and fraud.
- Maximize utilization of all available merchandise protection
tools and resources (including EAS, domes, alarm equipment, fitting
room controls, shortage highway, etc.) to address loss in stores
and throughout the company.
- Ensure consistent execution of all deterrence resources/tools
to proactively combat external loss.
- Leverage exception and store reporting systems to identify
theft activity (including cash shortage) in assigned stores.
- Drive resolution and case closure on all internal and external
investigations, including timely follow up on internal leads from
the corporate Investigative Analyst team or the Alertline process
and external intelligence from other retailers or law enforcement
groups regarding current market theft trends.
- Maintain appropriate confidentiality thorough internal
investigations; partner with store/district leadership and Human
Resources to address associate behavior and take corrective
- Drive an impactful and effective SPS program by participating
in store efforts to hire, train, and develop SPS associates in
- Maintain accurate records and reports of all identified theft
activity and related follow up; disseminate and communicate
reporting as necessary.
- Drive store-level awareness of theft and fraud techniques as
well as prevention tools/resources to mitigate future impact and
- Share expertise on physical security and loss prevention
systems through new store openings, remodels, and
expansions.Maintaining a Safe & Secure Environment
- Drive achievement of accident reduction goals for General
Liability GL) and Workers Compensation (WC) for assigned
- Conduct regular Loss Prevention safety audits for compliance of
all accident and critical incident preventative standards and
- Promote a safety-first culture by conducting regular store
audits, supporting the proper utilization of safety incentive
awards, and joining in safety celebrations for accident-free
- Participate regularly in store and district conference calls to
bring greater awareness to safety initiatives and emergency/crisis
- Execute effective crisis management and incident response;
coach and train store leadership and associates on accident
investigation findings, areas of opportunity, and future prevention
- Provide physical security expertise and ensure proper
functionality of store-based security technologies including
alarms, CCTVs, Intellex, etc.
- Regularly evaluate building integrity and partner with store
management to follow up on any equipment failure.Developing Great
Teams & Partnerships
- Train store leadership and associates, as well as Operations
and Human Resources partners, on current Loss Prevention
initiatives and programs.
- Assist store leadership in promoting awareness campaigns on
shortage and safety control measures; regularly participate in key
store meetings and recognition program activities.
- Develop and maintain effective working relationships with
corporate Loss Prevention partners and field-based peers; share
current store/market trends and provide feedback on current or
- Foster regular working partnerships with other internal
organizations to drive integrated solutions for shortage control
and accident reduction initiatives.
- Drive a performance management culture by detecting
opportunities for improvement in individual, team, and store
performance; influence change in less-than-optimal behaviors before
they become ingrained.
- Participate in the recruitment and hiring of top talent for
store-based Loss Prevention positions; in partnership with store
management, support the onboarding, ongoing training and
development, and performance management of SPS associates in
- Promote effective internal communication through regular Store
Protection Specialist conference calls and participation in store
- Establish and leverage regular communication with external
business partners including law enforcement agencies, retail theft
organizations, and other retail LP departments.
- Assist in the development and updating of training materials
and concepts for awareness training sessions.
- Perform other responsibilities and projects as
- Manages Work Processes
- Business Acumen
- Plans, Aligns & Prioritizes
- Builds Talent
- Leading by Example
- Communicates Effectively
- Ensures Accountability & ExecutionQUALIFICATIONS AND SPECIAL
- BA degree or greater, preferably in Business or Criminal
- 5+ years directly-related, multi-unit Loss Prevention and/or
Retail work experience.
- Experience in driving successful loss prevention, shortage
control, accident reduction and fraud prevention programs.
- Self-motivated individual who can be successful in a fast-paced
environment, with minimal supervision.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, strong
- Must demonstrate the ability to be flexible and adapt to
- Excellent analytical skills and demonstrated ability to solve
- Proven ability to make good decisions under pressure.
- Excellent organizational skills, detail-oriented.
- Maintains confidentiality concerning all information and
- Values and exhibits the highest level of personal
- Must have proficiency in and knowledge of computer software
including MS Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint).
- Knowledge of and previous experience with Loss Prevention
technologies (including CCTV systems and exception reporting
systems) is advantageous.PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/ADA:Job requires
ability to work in an office environment, primarily on a
computer.Requires sitting, standing, walking, hearing, talking on
the telephone, attending in-person meetings, typing, and working
with paper/files, etc.Consistent timeliness and regular
attendance.Vision requirements: Ability to see information in print
and/or electronically.Must be able to travelMust be able to stand
for prolonged periods of time (up to 8 hours per day)Frequent
computer work required (up to 8 hours), involving repetitive
arm/hand motions from keyboardingSUPERVISORY
RESPONSIBILITIES:Shared supervisory responsibility for up to 75
store-based Loss Prevention associates (Store Protection
Specialists or SPS) within assigned
stores/district(s)/area.DISCLAIMERThis job description is a summary
of the primary duties and responsibilities of the job and position.
It is not intended to be a comprehensive or all-inclusive listing
of duties and responsibilities. Contents are subject to change at
management's discretion.Ross is an equal employment opportunity
employer. We consider individuals for employment or promotion
according to their skills, abilities and experience. We believe
that it is an essential part of the Company's overall commitment to
attract, hire and develop a strong, talented and diverse workforce.
Ross is committed to complying with all applicable laws prohibiting
discrimination based on race, color, religious creed, age, national
origin, ancestry, physical, mental or developmental disability, sex
(which includes pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding and medical
conditions related to pregnancy, childbirth or breastfeeding),
veteran status, military status, marital or registered domestic
partnership status, medical condition (including cancer or genetic
characteristics), genetic information, gender, gender identity,
gender expression, sexual orientation, as well as any other
category protected by federal, state or local laws.#hybrid
Keywords: Ross Stores, Inc., Beaverton , Area Loss Prevention Manager (ALPM), Hospitality & Tourism , Beaverton, Oregon
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!